Despite 2020 starting with several large earthquakes in Puerto Rico and Jamaica, we wanted to revisit the major global earthquakes of 2019 in a sort of “year in review”. The year compared similarly to the 20 year average, with some standout large and destructive earthquakes.
- Magnitude: 6.4
- Date: November 26
- Depth: 20 km
- Location: Durres, Albania
- Impact: 52 fatalities, 2,000 injuries, 2,300 buildings damaged.
- Incident Page: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70006d0m/executive
- News Article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50562552
- Magnitude: 6.5
- Date: September 25
- Depth: 2 km
- Location: Maluku, Indonesia
- Impact: 41 fatalities, 1,500 injuries, nearly 7,000 homes and buildings damaged. Maluku suffered landslides, rock falls, and soil liquefaction.
- Incident Page: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70005lfd/executive
- News Article: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indonesia-earthquake-today-island-ambon-maluku-province-deadly-quake-latest-updates-2019-09-26/
- Magnitude: 5.6
- Date: September 24
- Depth: 10 km
- Location: Azad Kashmir, Pakistan
- Impact: 40 fatalities, 700 injured, 4,500 buildings damaged or destroyed, four bridges and several roads damaged.
- Incident Page: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us60005mqp/executive
- News Article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49814309
- Magnitude: 8.0
- Date: May 26
- Depth: 122 km
- Location: Loreto, Peru
- Impact: 2 fatalities, 18 injuries, numerous buildings damaged, including five schools, four health centers, and two religious sites.
- Incident Page: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us60003sc0/executive
- News Article: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/26/americas/peru-earthquake-may-intl/index.html
Papua New Guinea
- Magnitude: 7.6
- Date: May 14
- Depth: 145 km
- Location: Offshore of East New Britain, PNG
- Impact: A brief tsunami warning was issued, but was cancelled. One person injured and more than 100 displaced, several houses collapsed and power outages occurred on Duke of York Island.
- Incident Page: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70003kyy/executive
- News Article: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/powerful-quake-hits-papua-new-guinea-prompting-tsunami-alert
- Magnitude: 7.5
- Date: February 22
- Depth: 145 km
- Location: Pastaza, Ecuador
- Impact: 1 fatality, 9 injuries, 22 homes and several buildings damaged. Landslides blocked roads in the damage area.
- Incident Page: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000jlfv/executive
- News Article: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/22/696961234/7-5-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-near-ecuadors-border-with-peru